Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Why I love Beth Moore workbooks

I have been leading Bible studies for a few years now, and I am always telling my girls how much I love Beth Moore. Now that she and her daughters have a blog, I feel even more connected. I am just about to start leading my 3rd workbook with Shoreline and thought I should espouse a little on why I'm so narrowly focused on her library.

Why I lead Beth Moore workbooks:
First of all, I love Bible studies. I believe that God can change lives by using His word and it is such a joy to have fellow believers on your side to laugh and cry with you. I know that God values community (Gen. 2, Heb 10:25), and that women are called to train other women (Titus 2), so that's another reason why I love women's small groups.

I love the workbooks that Beth Moore writes because she consistently points me to study and love the Word. God gives her such wisdom and truth when she applies the Word to life. She has several different study options so that there is always something applicable to whatever group you're leading. I love the 5 day structure because it allows for two days of your own method of spending time with God. I also really like that each member of the group will be going through the same text, but it will apply to each of them in an individual way. It really shows how powerful and mighty God's word is. There are plenty of questions to discuss with one another each week and the questions really open the door to an atmosphere of honesty and vulnerability. The weekly gathering is also a great place to go over any concepts that were unclear. It is designed for fellowship and to be discussed. I've done a few on my own, but got so much more out of the ones that I've done in a group. I have completed the Breaking Free, A Heart Like His, A Woman's Heart: God's Dwelling Place, and Living Free workbooks, read the novel When Godly People do Ungodly Things, and there's so many more to go.

Some people do not like the structured system of a workbook, and that's totally fine! As long as you are spending time loving the Lord in the word, in prayer, and in fellowship, most obstacles to growth will be removed. I personally love the workbook style because it combines all of those elements easily. I also enjoy the organized method of studying a concept or person, and it truly enhances my walk with Christ. I would encourage anyone to give this style a full try for 3 weeks and see if it is a blessing to you. The word of God is so personal that it only makes sense that each of us would have a personal style of studying it.

My upcoming study: Jesus the One and Only
Time: Mondays, starting January 7th.

No comments: